Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Little Rocky & Philly Adventures

Last night, Ania and I had a sweet moment together where I was able to touch on what has been going on with her and what's to come. We were laying in bed snuggling and playing peek-a-boo. I covered her right "good" eye and left her "bad" left eye uncovered. She is completely blind in that eye so I know she could not see me. I held my hand there for a moment. When I pulled my hand away, she gave me the biggest, sweetest smile and said "There you are!" 
I felt like it was the right time to say something. Here's how it went:
I said, "You know daddy and I have been taking you to doctor so much to try everything we can do to fix your broken eye. I'm sorry, It's just not working. We will be getting you a new special eye soon."

And her amazing response? 

"Yea I know. It's hard. You have to be brave and strong." 

She is telling ME to be brave and strong. It's as if she understands that this decision did not come without much agony and tears. As if she understands that mommy and daddy have been heartbroken to have had to make this choice. It's as if she just knows it must be done in order to save her life- and she is ok with that. She is so brave and strong herself. I am so lucky to witness her strength on a daily basis.

We've had a few days to enjoy Philadelphia and I must say, it's a great city! It also helps that it has been 60 degree days and coming from Chicago this winter, that's downright tropical! Here are some picture highlights of what we have been up to: 
Meeting ABT ballerina Misty Copeland

Philly Cheese Steaks at Pats

Que the "Rocky" Music...... Here comes Little Rocky!!! 

This, by far, was my favorite experience. Ania is certainly tough like Rocky- and cuter too ;) 

And dinner at our namesake restaurant- "Moriarty's"

Today was a fun filled day too! 
Ania went incognito as we ventured out into the city- 
Started with a yummy lunch at one of our favs Chipotle- 

And spent the afternoon at the Please Touch Museum- a wonderful play museum for children! 
Kellen on the keys :) 
Dr Ania
Carousel ride :) 
Kellen & Daddy too!

Needless to say, today wiped them out... They both passed out on the bus ride back to the hotel! 

It's been such a fun past few days. The reality of why we are here though, is creeping back in. Just got word that her procedure is at 9:00am. I had a little meltdown after the phone call but I'm trying to keep my daughters words in mind. 

It's time to be brave and strong. 

Ok my sweet, warrior girl. I will listen and  I will be strong with you. Tomorrow is the start of a cancer free future. For that, I am excited. Sorry cancer. You have met your match in the Dainty Warrior- and like Rocky- she will be a champion!

God Bless,

Erica




















2 comments:

  1. Keeping you all, especially the Dainty Warrior, in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of Ania this morning . Wishing her a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete