Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Little Pinch

Now that we are halfway (hopefully) through this course of treatment, Ania has become quite the little creature of habit and routine. Each week she has her weekly blood labs and she is so understanding. All I have to say is, we have to go get blood done and she will respond " I have to get a little pinch?"
I always feel so guilty responding "yes" because getting blood drawn is not my or anyone else's idea of a fun day. Over the last few weeks though, she has made it seem like no big deal. She will calmly tell me each time, "Ok Mommy, I will be brave and strong. Will you hold me? I'm going to cry a little bit from the little pinch." I always respond by saying "Of course I will hold you! You are so so brave! I love you!" If only she knew the favor she was doing for me by allowing me to hold her through the "pinch." It's the only thing I have to offer her in times like this. By holding onto her, I feel her strength and marvel at this little lady that happens to be my daughter! I am so lucky! When it's time, she bravely hops up into my lap, lays her arm out and pulls up her own sleeve for the lab technician to find a vein. If I only had a pinch of such bravery! 

Besides the "little pinch" routine, there are 2 other parts to this weekly excursion that always stick with me as significant parts or habits of this whole experience. First, there is the giant dollhouse that greets us first thing as we enter the children's hospital. She always stops to peer in and say hello to all the little people and pet figures that live in this magical house. As many times as we've seen it by now, shes always thrilled to point out something new she's noticed. Today it was the "mommy" figure standing in the kitchen making something- a little tiny jello ring mold. 

As soon as the lab work is done, she will ask to go back to the dollhouse again. Here she is, saying goodbye and see you next time to the little ceramic dog figures on the porch. 

The second part if our routine is the stairs up to the lab offices. They have elevators but instead, Ania asks to "climb the mountain" before her blood is taken. It's not just a few stairs but a colorful mountain in her imagination! I can not help but sing "Climb Every Mountain" from Sound of Music in my head as we make our way up the stairs each week...
Climb every mountain, 
search high and low
Follow every by way,
Every path you know
Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow,
Till you find your dream.

A dream that will need
All the love that you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain........

That's all for now faithful readers and prayer warriors :)

God Bless,

Erica



No comments:

Post a Comment